Safety is our number one priority EVERY day. We have well-designed safety procedures in place, have an active safety committee, participate in a yearly state Safety Audit, and continually provide information and a myriad of safety-related training for staff. We practice emergency procedures with our students on a regular prescribed basis and teach them what to do in various situations.
We take a proactive / preventative approach to creating and maintaining a safe environment in our school through a daily focus on expectations and working together respectfully, classroom support from our school counselor, small group counseling, student mentoring, and daily classroom morning meetings. If a student has any concern, he / she is encouraged to let an adult know directly or by placing their concern in our “Suggestion and Concerns” box in the library with the choice of identifying themselves or submitting it anonymously.
It truly takes everyone in our school community to make our school as safe as it can be. You can do your part by:
- Calling us if you have any safety-related questions or concerns. We encourage input from our community and are always glad to talk with you.
- Being thoroughly familiar with the Greenwood Parent Handbook following all procedures outlined and being thoroughly familiar with the HCPS Code of Conduct.
- Letting us know right away if your emergency information changes (new phone numbers, places of employment, etc.).
- Calling school before 8:00 if your child is going to be absent.
- Following our Safety Traffic Plan:
- Using extreme caution in our parking lot and never parking at the front entrance. This is a fire lane.
- Displaying your car tag for student pick-up and following all transportation procedures.
- Identifying yourself when using our buzzer entry system and never allowing a person to enter behind you who has not yet been acknowledged by the office staff. ALL visitors must use the front entrance and immediately sign in at the office.
- Always wearing a nametag when visiting or volunteering and respectfully following any directions given by a staff member throughout your visit. This is especially critical in case of emergency or an emergency drill.
- Being positive role models for our students whenever you are with us, in your words, actions, and demeanor.
- If you live close by our school, helping us to be good stewards of our facility and reporting any after hours concerns to the Henrico Police via their non-emergency (501-5000) or emergency (911) phone numbers.
- Being well-informed about HCPS School Safety Policies and Practices by visiting the HCPS School Safety Website at: http://henrico.k12.va.us/SafetySecurity/index.html. This site includes a wealth of information and resources for families.
To learn more about how to keep your student safe online and with various media sources including video games, apps, music, and movies, visit the Common Sense Media website.
If you would like to volunteer in your child’s classroom or at any school event this year, please read the Volunteer Guidelines, complete the fillable PDF Volunteer Application, and watch the Safety Orientation Video.
The safety and security of our students and staff are top priorities for Henrico County Public Schools.